Apellis Pharmaceuticals Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board
July 15, 2015
CRESTWOOD, Ky., July 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Apellis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a clinical stage complement immunotherapy company, announced today the formation of a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) comprised of physicians and scientists recognized as key opinion leaders in the areas of immunology, pulmonology, ophthalmology and hematology. The SAB's mission will be to provide valuable scientific and clinical insights, along with strategic guidance in decision-making, as the Company seeks to advance its drugs through clinical trials.
"We are honored to welcome such outstanding authorities in these therapeutic areas to our advisory boards to support Apellis' clinical development programs," said Dr. Cedric Francois, the Chief Executive Officer of Apellis. "We have assembled this team of thought leaders to guide our efforts in developing our complement immunotherapy platform to treat autoimmune conditions. In forming this SAB, we are seeking to further position Apellis to successfully reach its goals and ultimately improve patient care."
Composition of Apellis' Scientific Advisory Board
- Carl Atkinson, PhD. Assistant Professor Microbiology & Immunology, Medical University of South Carolina, USA
- Robert A. Brodsky, MD. Director, Division of Hematology, Professor of Medicine and Oncology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, USA
- Gabriel J. Coscas, MD. Professor and Chairman of Ophthalmology, University of Paris XII, France
- Peter Hillmen, MD, PhD. Professor of Experimental Hematology, Leeds Institute of Cancer & Pathology, UK.
- Claudia Kemper, PhD. Faculty, King's College, UK
- Susan M. Lea, PhD. Chair and Professor of Microbiology, Co-Director, Oxford Martin Programme on Vaccines, Sir William Dunn School of Pathology, UK
- Toby Maher, MD, PhD. Clinician Scientist, Pulmonologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer, Royal Brompton Hospital and National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, UK
- Philip J. Rosenfeld, MD, PhD. Professor of Ophthalmology, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, USA
- Johanna M. Seddon, MD, ScM. Professor of Ophthalmology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, USA
- Dave Singh, MD. Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Respiratory Medicine, Medicines Evaluation Unit, UK
- Jason S. Slakter, MD. Vitreous Retina Macular Consultants of New York and Clinical Professor of Ophthalmology, New York University School of Medicine, USA
- Janet S. Sunness, MD. Medical Director of Richard E. Hoover Low Vision Rehabilitation Services, Greater Baltimore Medical Center, USA
- Marsha Wills-Karp, PhD. Professor, Environmental Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, USA
- Mike Yeadon, PhD. President and CEO, Ziarco, UK
Apellis is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of a platform of novel therapeutic compounds for the treatment of a broad range of autoimmune diseases based upon complement immunotherapy. Apellis is designing its compounds to modulate excessive or inappropriate activation of the complement component of the immune system and to resolve the dysfunction in the immune system associated with over-activation of the complement system. Apellis is currently evaluating its lead product candidates in Phase I and Phase II clinical trials in paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH), geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration (AMD), and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
SAB member biographies are available at http://apellis.com/
SOURCE Apellis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.